Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Tips for Making Your Destination Wedding Guests Feel at HomeWords by Courtney Kellar Words by Polka Dot Bride & courtesy of the Anti-bride
Photo courtesy of Mint Photography
As the leaves turn golden brown, my mind is starting to wander to more thoughtful subjects, wedding season in Australia is drawing to a close and the colder months, while still full of weddings are more of a time of reflection, of planning, of thoughts.
As a chocolate orange cake bakes in the oven and I am taken to places where chocolate cake and cozy experiences exist – today has again reminded me of embracing these experiences as a part of your wedding.
Coziness for me is welcoming, an embrace and warmth. Nothing quite replaces that feeling when you get home from a long day of work and your other half has baked your favorite meal – the scents as it wafts past you. The sight of a pot of tea and a soft rug when you show up at a friend’s house for an afternoon chat.
Last week, I wrote up a wedding where a bride felt so wonderful she felt “right at home”. Little touches can enhance your guests’ experience at your wedding and help them feel like they’ve come home. Think of:
• Hot drinks pre-ceremony
• Soft rugs in a woven basket for guests during winter
• A pre-wedding event for your guests to mingle & get to know each other
• Hand written notes at place cards to those who have helped you greatly
• An attendee welcoming & directing guests as they arrive to your event
• Lots of signage for guests who are too shy to ask for help
• Soft pillows for guests to lean again in lounge areas
• Quiet corners filled with candlelight & plates of nibbles
• A sweet serenade from your band’s musician to a couple you know & love
• Sweet smelling flowers for guests to wear in their hair
• Provide your favorite soap & a few soft towels in the bathrooms
• Light your reception with candlelight & lamps
• Serve family favorites like your mum’s pumpkin soup, beef stews & home baked bread
Coziness doesn’t take much – it takes a little thought and a little love, but it can change the experience of your guests from a memorable event to one that warms the soul.
About: Polka Dot Bride is Australia’s premier wedding blog and is read by thousands of brides worldwide. Polka Dot Bride is ranked within the top 20 Australian Women Bloggers and #53 out of the Top 100 Australian Bloggers as of June 2009. Polka Dot Bride has a passion to provide information on the latest trends in weddings, and inspirational and creative ideas for the Australian bride. Ms Polka Dot’s aim is to create a fun, informative, and stylish blog that is engaged with, and inclusive of, its readers. She writes a daily feature on the blog that includes new ideas, real weddings, fabulous finds and the beautiful and the inspirational. Polka Dot Bride readers are stylish and savvy; they want to make their wedding stand out from the crowd. Ms. Polka Dot’s aim is to inspire brides and grooms to create the wedding of their dreams.
You Might Also Like
Get the latest wedding trends & ideas by email