Become a Bronzed Beauty for your Destination Wedding!Words by Courtney Kellar Words by Lauren Rubino
We have all heard the scary skin-damaging stories about tanning beds and the disasters from lying out in the sun, letting Mother Nature take its toll. Thankfully, there are other alternatives like spray tanning.
Here are some helpful tips from Plush Tan, an exclusive mobile sunless tanning company based in Southern California. They provided us with information like what to look for when getting a tan, how to prep for a tan and how to make it last.
What to Look for When Deciding on a Spray Tan:
1. An experienced technician
2. Odorless solutions
3. Attention to detail so the tan looks natural on the hands and feet and the solution is customized for your specific skin tone
4. Custom airbrush tan (no booths)
5. High-end products used (no cheap solutions)
6. Professional and clean service
7. Do research: many salons offer airbrush tanning but they don't specialize in it. Use a company that ONLY does spray tans. That way they have perfected their craft!
8. Custom airbrush tanning is an art so pick your artist wisely! After all, they are there to enhance your best assets
Tips on How to Prepare for Your Spray Tan:
1. Exfoliate at least two times per week starting several months before your wedding day, using an oil-based exfoliant (my favorite is Epicuren Cinnamon Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub). Exfoliation gets rid of dead skin cells that may prevent your wedding day tan from looking even and fresh.
2. When your skin is healthy and hydrated it holds a fake tan longer and better, so moisturize every day after your shower. Avoid lotions that contain alcohol or anti-aging ingredients as they tend to dry out the skin. On the day of your spray tan make sure you do not apply any lotion beforehand (or makeup or deodorant, which can also contain oils that keep the tan from soaking in). Your skin should be clean, dry and free of any products.
3. Always do waxing before your spray tanning appointment. Doing this afterward can make the tan come off in those areas.
4. Book a trial appointment, maybe on the day of your engagement party or bachelorette party. There are many different types of spray tanning solutions and techniques so it's best to find the one that's right for your skin.
5. For the most foolproof results, splurge on a tan administered by an experienced technician, not a session in an automatic spray-tan booth, where your results may be less even and realistic.
How to Make Your Spray Tan Last:
1. Moisturize each and every day after your tan. Epicuren after bath lotions are ideal because they contain natural ingredients and they have no alcohol or parabens.
2. Avoid hot showers and Jacuzzis.
3. Minimal perspiration
4. Most importantly, follow the technician’s instructions before and after your tan. Your tan can last between 7-10 days.
You Might Also Like
by Jennifer Stein
Just north of Puerto Vallarta on Banderas Bay is the exquisite Grand Velas.
by Courtney Kellar
Our traveling editors pick their must-have items!
by John Roark
The Caribbean offers a palette of tropical options for all tastes.
by Carolyn Gerin
New York: as many times as I’ve been there, adrenaline hits my bloodstream like a double espresso: discovery, innovation and possibilities await.
by Courtney Kellar
There are a few things in life which most people love unconditionally: good food, family and golf.
Get the latest wedding trends & ideas by email