Tips to Find the Perfect CatererWords by Courtney Kellar
Photos courtesy of John D Russell Photography
Picking your vendors is one of the most important aspects of wedding planning. After all, aside from your wedding planner, it’s your vendors whom you will rely on come W-Day to make sure your destination wedding dreams become a reality. It’s important to invest the time and effort necessary to determine which vendors/companies are the right ones for you. When it comes to picking a caterer, we’ve asked one of the best in the wedding business to weigh-in on what steps couples should take to vet their foodie options.
Celebrity chef, caterer and owner of Made by Meg, Meg Hall has seen the wedding catering business from the inside. After years of experience catering in California, she’s sharing what couples should, and shouldn’t, avoid.
- Reviews Don’t Lie
- Search Yelp and Wedding Wire for accredited reviews on catering companies.
- Check the local Health Department website for the [company’s] rating.
- Seek companies with structure and that are big enough to take on your wedding.
- What To Look For: Do they get back to you right away? Looking at their website, do they have a staff listing and customer reviews?
- Legal Coverage
- Ask for proof of general liability and workers' compensation insurance.
- Be Resourceful
- Contact a well-known, high-end hotel in the area and ask for their on-site planner. Inquire for a catering recommendation in the area; they often refer one another, as they are not competition.
- Ask Questions & Request Resources
- Request client testimonials and photos of their past weddings and events (including the food, rentals, etc.).
- What To Look For: Do they work with high-end vendors?
For more information about Meg Hall or to see some of her work, visit meghall.com.
You Might Also Like
Get the latest wedding trends & ideas by email