5 Ways to Save on Your WeddingWords by DestinationWeddings.com
By having a destination wedding, you’re already in great shape to save some money. With the cost of at-home weddings continuing to rise, the average couple is spending over $30,000 on their dream celebration. In comparison, the average cost for the destination wedding couple has remained well under $10,000 for over 10 years! With great group rates, special resort deals and often traveling in smaller groups, there is no reason to sacrifice your budget for your dream destination wedding!
Get Creative with Receptions
Just like at a traditional wedding, receptions can tend to be a little pricy. But, making a few simple adjustments (without sacrificing on ambience or an incredible view), can add up to thousands of dollars saved!
- Offer food stations instead of a formal sit-down meal
- Choose native-grown foods, which also add a little local fusion flair
Both of these options not only create a fun vibe for your reception, but also show off your creativity to all of your guests!
Take Advantage of Complimentary Events & Group Amenities
Resorts and hotels are highly interested in securing group travel, so they’ll often go out of their way to offer special amenities to couples traveling with groups. Even if your guest list is small, longer trips (meaning additional nights booked at the hotel) usually add up to bonus amenities, too!
- Look for resorts based on number of rooms or nights accumulated
- Check on whether your resort offers special wedding packages with extra savings
- Ask if you qualify for complimentary private events for your group, such as rehearsal dinners (Even better a small rehearsal dinner could double as a sunset cruise at a significant discount!)
- Enjoy romantic dinners on other nights and resort/spa credits with your wedding package
Explore out-of-the-box Entertainment Ideas
Entertainment can be a costly component to a destination wedding. Bands and group performers can often account for a large portion of your overall budget (for weddings at home at least). Not to worry, there are still ways to cut back on your final invoice! If you choose entertainment through your resorts’ Preferred Vendor list, you are sure to save yourself extra stress, work and money! Don’t forget, your time is valuable too!
- Browse through the resort Preferred Vendor list for added discounts
- Solo performers (like a guitarist or violinist) can cost less than bands
Save on Your Honeymoon
Since you’re already traveling for your destination wedding, skip the added airfare costs and opt for the experience-based gift of a honeymoon.
- Register for a honeymoon fund to allow guests to help pay for your dream vacation rather than buying you pots and pans!
- Want to further reduce airfare costs while still enjoying a change of scenery? Honeymoon at a different resort in the same destination. Even better, you can use some of those savings on an extra spa treatment or an exciting excursion.
- Extend your stay post-wedding for added credits, upgrades or free nights at your wedding resort.
Pay Attention to Details
Leading up to the wedding, getting as hands-on as possible with last-minute details means less out-of-pocket spending for you. Recruit your creative and budget-savvy friends for help along the way!
- Take advantage of sales going on at various vendors such as dress shops and florists
- Create DIY guest favors as a more personal and affordable option
- Avoid holiday weekends and peak travel periods
Photos courtesy of (in order of appearance): Ocean Photo Studio, Beach Wedding Studio & Shannon Skloss Photography
You Might Also Like
Get the latest wedding trends & ideas by email