Buy an Engagement Ring OnlineWords by Brilliant Earth
Photos courtesy of Brilliant Earth
Online shopping is all the rage, but what about shopping for engagement rings on the World Wide Web? It's becoming more and more common and one of the leading online diamond retailers, Brilliant Earth, is sharing their tips for shopping for diamonds and engagement rings online. If you're more of a traditionalist, these inside tips will still be helpful for a storefront purchase. Read on to learn the in's and out's of shopping for diamonds!
1. Research – If you’re looking for a diamond engagement ring, educate yourself about the four C’s to determine what is most important to you. If you are seeking a gemstone engagement ring, make sure to research gemstone qualities, characteristics and symbolism to choose the gemstone that’s right for you.
- Cut – The cut measures symmetry, polish and proportion, and it is really what affects the visual brilliance of the diamond.
Brilliant Earth Tip: Select very good to super ideal cut grade to maximize sparkle.
- Color – Color is very much a personal preference. D, E, and F colored diamonds are the highest on the rarity scale and have a very icy white appearance. G and H diamonds offer a great middle ground, and I and J diamonds will have a slightly warmer hue. I and J diamonds can be great options for people interested in warmer metal tones, such as yellow or rose gold, or those interested in vintage styles.
- Clarity – Clarity refers to how clean or clear the diamond is with respect to natural microscopic characteristics that were trapped within or on the diamond while it was forming. Clarity is determined under 10x magnification by a trained gemologist since most of these characteristics cannot be seen by the naked eye. Brilliant Earth recommends purchasing a SI1 clarity, or above if you have a strong preference for rarity.
- Carat – Of all the diamond characteristics, people are typically most familiar with carat weight. Carat weight is strictly a preference depending on the size of diamond or gemstone the customer likes.
Brilliant Earth Tip: Save money by purchasing just under a carat weight. For example, a 1.8 or 1.9 carat diamond will cost significantly less than a 2 carat diamond with similar characteristics.
- Shape – Diamond shape refers to a diamond’s physical form and is a great way to express the individual style of the wearer. Fancy Shaped diamonds refer to non-round diamonds, including princess, cushion, emerald, asscher, radiant, oval, pear, and heart shape. Each diamond shape has its own unique characteristics and is cut to different specifications, which impacts the overall look of the stone.
Brilliant Earth Tip: Shapes like oval and pear often appear larger than other diamond shapes of equal carat weight.
2. Ask for Help – One of the many benefits of an online retailer is the ability to browse uninterrupted for as long as you like, and then seek guidance when the time is best for you. At Brilliant Earth, jewelry specialists are available to answer questions and assist on everything from technical gemstone expertise to explaining our ethical practices, to full custom design. The right jewelry professional can guide you towards your preferences and help you make a decision in a non-pressured environment. Customers may contact a Brilliant Earth jewelry specialist via phone, email, or a live online chat, or schedule an appointment in our showrooms.
3. Know Your Retailer – It’s most imperative to trust the retailer with whom you’re working. Make sure their reputation, policies and sourcing are in line with your ideals.
4. Sourcing – Ask about sourcing practices before purchasing a diamond. Jewelers that offer “conflict free” diamonds are limiting themselves to the Kimberley Process’s definition, which narrowly defines conflict diamonds as diamonds that finance rebel movements against recognized governments. What this definition leaves out is large numbers of diamonds that are tainted by violence, human rights abuses, poverty, and environmental degradation.
Brilliant Earth goes above and beyond the current industry standards to offer diamonds from a select group of suppliers that demonstrate a robust chain of custody for their diamonds and track and segregate diamonds by origin. Our diamonds with a listed country of origin come from suppliers who are required to source diamonds that originate from specific mine operators which follow internationally recognized labor, trade, and environmental standards. We also offer lab created and recycled diamonds, both of which are eco-friendly alternatives, and all of our fine jewelry uses recycled precious metals. Additionally, Brilliant Earth donates five percent of its profits to help communities impacted by the jewelry trade to build a brighter future. For more information on Brilliant Earth or to browse full collections, please visit: brilliantearth.com
You Might Also Like
by Jennifer Stein
Wording your invitations correctly can be tricky and a destination wedding offers different options.
by Jennifer Stein
Just north of Puerto Vallarta on Banderas Bay is the exquisite Grand Velas.
by Courtney Kellar
Our traveling editors pick their must-have items!
by John Roark
The Caribbean offers a palette of tropical options for all tastes.
by Carolyn Gerin
New York: as many times as I’ve been there, adrenaline hits my bloodstream like a double espresso: discovery, innovation and possibilities await.
Get the latest wedding trends & ideas by email