Colorado Getaway: Gateway CanyonsWords by Shana Kinnerup
Photos courtesy of Gateway Canyons Resort & Spa
The perfect destination wedding does not have to include waves or sand between your toes. As a matter of fact, it doesn’t even have to be the quintessential combination of sunsets and relaxation. For many couples, there’s good reason to get a little crazy in love.
At the junction of five canyons in the red rock mountains of Colorado, sits a picturesque town built up and around the Gateway Canyons Resort and Spa. The beauty of the land is indescribable and the resort encourages you to explore it in any way possible. Built by Discovery Channel founder John Hendricks, this property challenges its guests to discover their curiosities and explore. Here are the top 10 ways to get crazy in love at Gateway Canyons Resort.
- An all-day Jeep tour is sure to satisfy, but why not grab your crew and head out four-wheeling on UTV’s? You’ll head up the mountains, on top of the canyons and even alongside running creeks for an up-close look at the richness of the land.
- Don’t forget some drinks by the pool, because, after all, you’re there in celebration!
- Head out for a scenic drive, top down in your Bentley. Not your cup of tea? No worries, the garage is big…and it’s deep. You are sure to find the luxury vehicle of your choice to borrow for the day through Driven Experiences right on property.
- The adventure is bound to catch up with you, so decompress at the full-service spa. As expected, no corners are cut here.
- Sign up for an air tour from the on-site helipad and you’ll be aboard one of the most luxurious choppers you’ll likely ever come across. Looking for the perfect place to pop the question? Let Gateway Canyons provide a setting in the clouds – literally.
- With rapids nearby, hit the river to take in a bit of adrenaline-fueled adventure!
- Treat your guests to a private horseback ride they’ll never forget. Arrange to return to live banjo music, an open-pit BBQ and an evening under the stars. Leave the beans and franks at the door, as you’ll be dining five-star style. If you’re looking for a once-in-a-lifetime rehearsal dinner – this is it!
- Fossil tours are available for the historian in all of us. A quick, guided tour will take you to some local spots where an escort who is privy to the area’s history will keep you captivated.
- Fly fishing is an option if you’d prefer to stay dry while still experiencing the beauty of the river.
- Blow off some steam on the skeet range! They provide everything you need to have an afternoon packed with fun.
This article first appeared in Destination I Do's Spring/Summer 2017 issue. You can order a copy here.
Related Articles & Advice
by Jennifer Stein
Just north of Puerto Vallarta on Banderas Bay is the exquisite Grand Velas.
by Courtney Kellar
Our traveling editors pick their must-have items!
by John Roark
The Caribbean offers a palette of tropical options for all tastes.
by Carolyn Gerin
New York: as many times as I’ve been there, adrenaline hits my bloodstream like a double espresso: discovery, innovation and possibilities await.
by Courtney Kellar
There are a few things in life which most people love unconditionally: good food, family and golf.
Get the latest wedding trends & ideas by email