How to get a passport

June 14, 2013
Words by Jennifer Stein
Photos courtesy of

How to Get a Passport for Your Destination Wedding or Honeymoon 

Passports are issued to U.S. citizens by the US Department of State and are required to enter and leave countries outside of the United States. As of January 23, 2007, this now includes Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda. You will also be required to present your passport to re-enter the United States after your destination wedding or honeymoon. 

The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling or returning from a U.S. territory which includes Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.  

New Application for a U.S. Passport

To obtain a passport for the first time, you need to go in person to an issuing office. To find the closest location and download the application form, go to  

Required Documentation

  1. Two photographs of yourself
  2. Proof of U.S. citizenship
  3. Valid form of photo identification such as a drivers license


In the past it has taken an average of 10-12 weeks to process a new passport application and with the new passport requirements, the processing time as increased. Our recommendation is to apply early to avoid having to pay additional fees for an expedited service. 

Renewal of U.S. Passport

Most passports can be renewed by mail, but there are exceptions including: a damaged or altered passport, a passport that was issued more than 15 year prior, a passport that was issued to you when you were under16 and a passport that was issued under a different name.

Weddings at Sandals
Iberostar Destination Weddings

Find a Vendor

Access our list of vendors based on your destination location.