Tips for a Professional WaxingWords by Courtney Kellar
Photos courtesy of Uni K Wax
Every woman wants to feel her most beautiful before her destination wedding or honeymoon – and that can mean having a great waxing before you walk down the aisle or don that skimpy new bikini. If you’re one such woman, Uni K Wax Center or the Uni K Wax Body Collection might be the perfect fit for you! On a side note – waxing isn’t just for women. Whether it’s annoying back hair or overgrown chest hair, waxing might be the perfect way to make sure your fiancé or husband-to-be is as comfortable as possible on the beach with your family and friends.
Uni K Wax Centers have been around since 1993 and were one of the first centers dedicated entirely to waxing. Founder, Noemi Grupenmager, was also ahead of her time in inventing the elastic wax – a clean, green, mostly pain-free and all-natural wax. Uni K elastic wax is made of natural beeswax packed with essential oils and a special pine tree resin. There are currently Uni K Wax Centers in New York, Florida and California, with 100 new locations opening by 2015. To find a location near you, visit their website.
If you can’t make it into a waxing center, not to fear because there’s also the Uni K Wax Body Collection which can be purchased online. These stellar products can accompany your hometown wax to ensure you have minimal redness and irritation, get the longest last results and are left with smooth, glowing skin. If you’re unfamiliar with waxing or are trying it for the first time for your wedding or honeymoon, below are Noemi’s tips for the most successful outcome.
When to Wax:
· DON’T get your first bikini wax a week before your wedding or honeymoon. DO begin waxing about three months ahead of time – and choose the right wax for your skin! Know that waxing an area becomes less painful each time you do it, so starting early can help you avoid any pain or sensitivity on your big day/night. Waxing will also diminish hair growth over time, making it thinner, sparser and lighter. To guarantee a perfectly ouch-free experience (especially if you have sensitive skin), stop by a Uni K Wax Center in your area. They use a proprietary all-natural elastic wax that’s applied at body temperature and gently removed on its own without paper strips, leaving your skin smooth as silk.
· DO schedule your brow wax one week beforehand. You’ll have enough time to adjust to your brow shape and can get the pro’s advice on filling your brows in with a pencil or using gel to nail your desired look.
Here are some helpful tips to remember before getting a waxing service:
· Let your hair grow out about one-eighth to one-quarter of an inch before going in for waxing.
· If you are sensitive during your menstrual cycle, you might want to avoid a bikini wax during those days.
· Alcohol tightens pores, so it is not a good idea to consume alcohol before getting waxed.
· Using sun protection is always recommended when exposing your skin to the sun and it is especially important during the first 24 hours after waxing in order to avoid redness.
· Let your waxer know of any medications you’re taking. If you are under the use of AHA, Renova®, Retin-A® or corticosteroids such as hydro-cortisone, prednisone, Kenalog® and/or Elocon® you SHOULD NOT get waxed in the treated areas. If you are under the treatment of Accutane® you SHOULD NOT get waxed.
· In order to have the best waxing results, it is best to keep your skin healthy and hydrated all the time. This entails drinking lots of water (to hydrate from the inside out) and using skin care products that prepare the skin for a great hair removal experience. Uni K Wax Centers have developed a complete collection of skin care products including Citrus Body Polish, which should be used about once a week to exfoliate dead skin cells; Body Perfect Dry Oil which is to be sprayed all over damp skin after a shower each day and Ultimate Balm to seal in the moisture.
For more information on getting professionally waxed for the big day or any of the Uni K Wax Body Collection, visit unikwax.com.
You Might Also Like
by Jennifer Stein
Just north of Puerto Vallarta on Banderas Bay is the exquisite Grand Velas.
by Courtney Kellar
Our traveling editors pick their must-have items!
by John Roark
The Caribbean offers a palette of tropical options for all tastes.
by Carolyn Gerin
New York: as many times as I’ve been there, adrenaline hits my bloodstream like a double espresso: discovery, innovation and possibilities await.
by Courtney Kellar
There are a few things in life which most people love unconditionally: good food, family and golf.
Get the latest wedding trends & ideas by email